Family Diving in Cozumel
How and where to take the whole gang underwater
Families looking to take a dive together should consider companies like Sunrise Divers Cozumel, which offers small group options for diving excursions. Options such as the Two Tanks Dive service include two dives, boat pick-up, snacks, tanks, guides and marine park fee, and groups can even choose their dive sites. Options range from Paradise Reef – a 30-foot plunge for sightings of colorful fish, sea turtles, sting rays, eels and lobsters – to a shipwreck dive site.
If you’re thinking of taking a family dive trip, here are a few helpful tips for planning your adventure:
– Kids need to be a little older to enjoy scuba diving. Those ages 10 and up can complete Junior PADI open-water certification to dive as low as 40 feet with accompanying parent or dive professional, and starting at age 12, they can go as deep as 60 feet.
– Always check with dive operations to see if they can work with kids, and remember that young ones might need help learning the terminology of diving.
– Private guides are a good recommendation for families, and make sure that the dive instructor is experienced and PADI-certified.
– It’s important to stay hydrated between dives, so it’s a good idea to pack beverages for the family.
– Choose a destination that offers suitable dive sites for the specific family group, paying particular attention to whether or not it has shallow dives for younger children.